Saturday, December 29, 2007

Wilson Yip Q&A at FLASH POINT screening at the Toronto International Film Festival

Been tardy in posting on this blog of late, but this should make up for it. Okay, so I am double dipping on the post process since I just put this up over at the blog I maintain for the Midnight Madness section of the Toronto International Film Festival which I programme, but you wouldn't have known about it otherwise right?

I first met director Wilson Yip in 1999 when he attended the Festival with his film BULLETS OVER SUMMER. Programmer Noah Cowan introduced us, knowing my love for Hong Kong films and almost immediately I was able to break the language barrier by complimenting Wilson on some of his previous films BIO-ZOMBIE, MONGKOK STORY and the fun horror anthology MIDNIGHT ZONE. After that we kept in touch and would meet in Hong Kong when I'd visit and hung out together at the Udine Far East Festival in Italy.

In 2000 I was able to roam beyond my usual world of celluloid shockers and select a film outside of Midnight Madness. That film was JUILET IN LOVE, directed by Wilson Yip and I was able to show off that I do have a sensitive side of my cinematic tastes. At the end of the screening, several members of the audience were sniffling and wiping tears from there eyes. A refreshing change from the usual shrieks, screams and laffs at Midnight!

In 2005 it was an honour to welcome Wilson into the Midnight Madness arena with SPL starring Wu Jing, Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung. Being a fan of HK films, to be onstage with Wu Jing and the legendary Sammo Hung before a cheering audience of 1200 was one of the highlights I have had working for TIFF. The reaction for that film was overwhelming and if you haven't seen it, run out and get the fabulous 2 disc version that is out on Dragon Dynasty under the re-titled name of KILL ZONE. Zip into our blog archives to get Midnight Madness blogger Carol's memories of seeing Sammo on stage for SPL.

A year later, Wilson unleashes the whiplash attack that is FLASH POINT. At last, here is the edited introduction with a special email greeting from star Donnie Yen and the Q&A with Wilson following the movie. Sorry about the poor video and sound for the start of the Q&A, but it clears up two minutes into the video.

And good news for those who missed the screening at Midnight Madness, for according to Bey Logan at his Dragon Dynasty blog, DD will be doing a limited theatrical release of the film in the US before it gets a video release. Originally planned as a prequel to SPL, the story behind the writing of FLASH POINT is an interesting look at how the HK film industry operate. Check out Bey's inside scoop on the evolution of FLASH POINT over at his blog.

FLASH POINT Intro


FLASH POINT Q&A

No comments: